Friday, May 28, 2010

Weekend in the woods

We're going backpacking this weekend!

I love a relaxing weekend camping in the woods. Well, of course by relaxing I mean anywhere between a ten to twenty mile hike through rough terrain, unpredictable weather, digging a hole and calling it a latrine, bathing in a near-freezing stream, purifying your own water and pitching a tent at the end of all that, only to have a curious little mammal scratching at your tent in the middle of the night, scaring the bejesus out of both of you.

I love it!

Photobucket

Photobucket
From my last trip in the Catskills.

Photobucket
During my March/April break, backpacking in
the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.


It's been a while since we've been to the Catskills, and it will be nice to hike a new peak. The Catskills are a nice challenge because of the nature of the geological history there. The trail often cuts over and through large boulders transported through glacial activity and erosion of the sedimentary bedrock. And the water is delicious!

Except I did get a parasitic infection the last time we were there. Three days of not being able to stray more than twenty feet from a bathroom is not my idea of a souvenir.

Pictures to follow, along with my take on Leave No Trace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Leah :) I can feel the wind blowing out here.. Beautiful scenery, almost making me wish to be there too..

    Hope you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete